MPTUO1a: Introduction to Psychology
Week 16 / Unit 12: Psychotherapy
Psychotherapy. “(Also talking therapy). The use of psychological methods, particularly when based on regular personal interaction with adults, to help a person change behavior and overcome problems in desired ways.” 
- Chapter 10: Psychotherapy in Psychology 101 by Dr. Christopher L. Heffner 
- Chapter 13: Therapies, Part One: Psychodynamic Therapies in Psychology: An Introduction by Russell A. Dewey, PhD 
- Chapter 13: Therapies, Part Two: Different Approaches to Counseling in Psychology: An Introduction by Russell A. Dewey, PhD 
- Chapter 13: Therapies, Part Three: Behavior Therapies in Psychology: An Introduction by Russell A. Dewey, PhD 
- Chapter 13: Therapies, Part Four: Trends in Therapy in Psychology: An Introduction by Russell A. Dewey, PhD 
Psychological Disorder Treatment Study Guide
Perspectives on treatment
- 1.1 Explain how psychological treatments have changed over time and among cultures.
- 1.2 Match methods of treatment to psychological perspectives.
- 1.3 Explain why psychologists use a variety of treatment options.
Categories of treatment and types of treatment providers
- 2.1 Identify biomedical treatments.
- 2.2 Identify psychological treatments.
- 2.3 Describe appropriate treatments for different age groups.
- 2.4 Evaluate the efficacy of treatments for particular disorders.
- 2.5 Identify other factors that improve the efficacy of treatment.
- 2.6 Identify treatment providers for psychological disorders and the training required for each
Legal, ethical, and professional issues in the treatment of psychological disorders
- 3.1 Identify ethical challenges involved in the delivery of treatment.
- 3.2 Identify national and local resources available to support individuals with psychological disorders and their families (e.g., NAMI and support groups).
Major Assignments and Deadlines
- Participate. Make a minimum of 2 original comments or discussion posts and 2 responses to someone else.
- Watch the Unit 12 Videos.
- Study the Unit 12 Slides.
- Review the Unit 12 Resources.
- Review the Unit 12 Study Guide.
- Take Quiz 17: Psychotherapy
- Psychotherapy. (n.d.). In Wikipedia. Retrieved June 18, 2020, from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychotherapy
- Heffner, Dr. Christopher L. (2001, April 1). Psychology 101. All Psych. https://allpsych.com/psychology101/
- Dewey, Dr. Russell A. (2017). Psychology: An Introduction. Psych Web. https://www.psywww.com/intropsych/
- The American Psychological Association’s Teachers of Psychology in Secondary Schools (APA TOPSS) course template.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International Licence. Contact My Psych Teacher for more information.