MPTUO1a: Introduction to Psychology
Week 18 / Unit 14: Frontiers in Psychology
Frontiers in Psychology. “Areas where psychology overlaps other disciplines. These areas are frontiers in two ways: (1) they are relatively recent developments in the 150 year history of psychology, and (2) they are at the intersection of psychology and some other field.” 
- Chapter 14: Frontiers in Psychology, Part One: Psychology and Medicine in Psychology: An Introduction by Russell A. Dewey, PhD 
- Chapter 14: Frontiers in Psychology, Part Two: Stress in Psychology: An Introduction by Russell A. Dewey, PhD 
- Chapter 14: Frontiers in Psychology, Part Three: Addiction in Psychology: An Introduction by Russell A. Dewey, PhD 
- Chapter 14: Frontiers in Psychology, Part Four: Psychology and Law in Psychology: An Introduction by Russell A. Dewey, PhD 
- Chapter 14: Frontiers in Psychology, Part Five: Sport Psychology in Psychology: An Introduction by Russell A. Dewey, PhD 
Health Psychology – Stress and coping
- 1.1 Define stress as a psychophysiological reaction.
- 1.2 Identify and explain potential sources of stress.
- 1.3 Explain physiological and psychological consequences for health.
- 1.4 Identify and explain physiological, cognitive, and behavioral strategies to deal with stress.
Behaviors and attitudes that promote health
- 2.1 Identify ways to promote mental health and physical fitness.
- 2.2 Describe the characteristics of and factors that promote resilience and optimism.
- 2.3 Distinguish between effective and ineffective means of dealing with stressors and other health issues.
Vocational Applications – Career options
- 1.1 Identify careers in psychological science and practice.
- 1.2 Identify careers related to psychology.
- 2.1 Identify degree requirements for psychologists and psychology-related careers.
- 2.2 Identify resources to help select psychology programs for further study.
Vocational applications of psychological science
- 3.1 Discuss ways in which psychological science addresses domestic and global issues.
- 3.2 Identify careers in psychological science that have evolved as a result of domestic and global issues.
Major Assignments and Deadlines
- Participate. Make a minimum of 2 original comments or discussion posts and 2 responses to someone else.
- Watch the Unit 14 Videos.
- Study the Unit 14 Slides.
- Review the Unit 14 Resources.
- Review the Unit 14 Study Guide.
- Take 3 Quizzes
- Quiz 19: Frontiers in Psychology
- Quiz 20: Final Exam Review
- Take the Final Exam.
- Dewey, Dr. Russell A. (2017). Psychology: An Introduction. Psych Web. https://www.psywww.com/intropsych/
- The American Psychological Association’s Teachers of Psychology in Secondary Schools (APA TOPSS) course template.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International Licence. Contact My Psych Teacher for more information.