MPTUO1a: Introduction to Psychology
Weeks 6, 7, and 8 / Units 4 and 5: Development and Learning
Development and Learning. “The scientific study of how and why human beings change over the course of their life ; “and “A theoretical science that covers the various psychological theories that relate with learning.” 
- Chapter 10: Development, Part One: The First Three Years in Psychology: An Introduction by Russell A. Dewey, PhD 
- Chapter 10: Development, Part Two: Cognitive Development in Psychology: An Introduction by Russell A. Dewey, PhD 
- Chapter 10: Development, Part Three: Adolescence, Adulthood and Aging in Psychology: An Introduction by Russell A. Dewey, PhD 
- Chapter 10: Development, Part Four: Death and Dying in Psychology: An Introduction by Russell A. Dewey, PhD 
- Chapter 4: Learning and Behavioral Psychology in Psychology 101 by Dr. Christopher L. Heffner
Language Development Study Guide
Structural features of language
- 1.1 Describe the structure and function of language.
- 1.2 Discuss the relationship between language and thought.
Theories and developmental stages of language acquisition
- 2.1 Explain the process of language acquisition.
- 2.2 Discuss how the acquisition of a second language can affect language development and possibly other cognitive processes.
- 2.3 Evaluate the theories of language acquisition.
Language and the brain
- 3.1 Identify the brain structures associated with language.
- 3.2 Discuss how damage to the brain may affect language.
Learning Study Guide
- 1.1 Describe the principles of classical conditioning.
- 1.2 Describe clinical and experimental examples of classical conditioning.
- 1.3 Apply classical conditioning to everyday life.
- 2.1 Describe the Law of Effect.
- 2.2 Describe the principles of operant conditioning.
- 2.3 Describe clinical and experimental examples of operant conditioning.
- 2.4 Apply operant conditioning to everyday life.
Observational and cognitive learning
- 3.1 Describe the principles of observational and cognitive learning.
- 3.2 Apply observational and cognitive learning to everyday life.
Life Span Development Study Guide
Methods and issues in life span development
- 1.1 Explain the interaction of environmental and biological factors in development, including the role of the brain in all aspects of development.
- 1.2 Explain issues of continuity/discontinuity and stability/change.
- 1.3 Distinguish methods used to study development.
- 1.4 Describe the role of sensitive and critical periods in development.
- 1.5 Discuss issues related to the end of life.
Theories of life span development
- 2.1 Discuss theories of cognitive development.
- 2.2 Discuss theories of moral development.
- 2.3 Discuss theories of social development.
Prenatal development and the newborn
- 3.1 Describe physical development from conception through birth and identify influences on prenatal development.
- 3.2 Describe newborns’ reflexes, temperament, and abilities.
Infancy (i.e., the first two years of life)
- 4.1 Describe physical and motor development.
- 4.2 Describe how infant perceptual abilities and intelligence develop.
- 4.3 Describe the development of attachment and the role of the caregiver.
- 4.4 Describe the development of communication and language.
- 5.1 Describe physical and motor development.
- 5.2 Describe how memory and thinking ability develops.
- 5.3 Describe social, cultural, and emotional development through childhood.
- 6.1 Identify major physical changes.
- 6.2 Describe the development of reasoning and morality.
- 6.3 Describe identity formation.
- 6.4 Discuss the role of family and peers in adolescent development.
Adulthood and Aging
- 7.1 Identify major physical changes associated with adulthood and aging.
- 7.2 Describe cognitive changes in adulthood and aging.
- 7.3 Discuss social, cultural, and emotional issues in aging.
Major Assignments and Deadlines
- Participate. Make a minimum of 2 original comments or discussion posts and 2 responses to someone else.
- Watch the Units 4 & 5 videos.
- Study the Units 4 & 5 Slides.
- Review the Units 4 & 5 Resources.
- Review the Units 4 & 5 Study Guide.
- Take three quizzes.
- Quiz 7: Learning and Behavioral Theory
- Quiz 8: Development Across the Lifespan
- Developmental psychology. (n.d.). In Wikipedia. Retrieved June 3, 2020, from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Developmental_psychology
- Psychology of learning. (n.d.). In Wikipedia. Retrieved June 3, 2020, from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychology_of_learning
- Heffner, Dr. Christopher L. (2001, April 1). Psychology 101. All Psych. https://allpsych.com/psychology101/
- Dewey, Dr. Russell A. (2017). Psychology: An Introduction. Psych Web. https://www.psywww.com/intropsych/
- The American Psychological Association’s Teachers of Psychology in Secondary Schools (APA TOPSS) course template.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International Licence. Contact My Psych Teacher for more information.